My mom always serves this soul soothing soup at our annual Thanksgiving family meal. Perfect for crisp autumn weather and winter glacial temperatures.
Prep Time: about 15 minutes Yields: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, grated
- 1 can (796 ml) of E.D. Smith pumpkin puree
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (354 ml) of Carnation regular evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- roasted pumpkin seeds or freshly chopped chives
- Heat olive oil in a medium-large pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onions until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Do not brown the onions.
- Add grated apple to onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Place remaining ingredients into the pot and stir until the soup is well blended.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Stir soup occasionally.
- Serve and garnish as desired.
Please note that recipe can be easily doubled for additional dinner guests.