Whether it’s a relaxing summer day or simply an afternoon on your backyard deck surrounded with family or friends, I find this chilled lemon ice tea is always welcome and instantly quenches everybody’s thirst. Although I do not recall who gave me the recipe, it has become my preferred summer beverage and it also fends off any heat wave.
Prep time: 30 minutes Yields: 12-16 glasses
- 4 Lemons freshly squeezed (1 cup of juice)
- 2 Lemons (slices and zest)
- ¾ cup of sugar or honey*
- 6 cups of steeped tea (tea of your choice)
Optional: 1-2 cups of fruit of your choice strawberries, raspberries etc….
- In a saucepan place the lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar or honey.
- Bring to a boil, 1-2 minutes. Should resemble a light syrup. Remove from heat.
- Cut one of the lemons into thin slices, and zest the rind of the second lemon.
- Steep the tea to your desired strength. Fill a pitcher with steeped tea, lemon slices, lemon zest and any other fruit (if you are adding fruits).
- Pour the hot lemon syrup from the saucepan into the pitcher and stir.
- Refrigerate until chilled (approximately 4 hrs).
- Serve with ice and enjoy!!!
* You can also use a sweetener. Remember to always adjust the sweetness to your taste by either adding or removing the sugar, honey or sweetener.