“I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream“— this recipe may seem strange, but it’s really delicious!
Yields about 1 quart
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon or orange zest
- Place milk and cream in a medium size saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from stove.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with the sugar and make sure mixture is well blended—it should be a light yellow colour.
- Continue whisking the mixture in the bowl, and slowly pour the milk and cream into the thoroughly blended egg yolk and sugar concoction.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium to low heat, stir with a wooden spoon until it thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. After straining, add olive oil and vanilla. Place in freezer safe bowl with lid.
- Cover and freeze overnight for best results.
- Top with freshly grated orange or lemon zest and serve.