References to body sugaring depilation can be traced back to ancient Egypt, Greece and Mesopotamia. Body sugaring is a safe, natural and affordable way to remove unwanted hair at the roots. It consists of a mixture of honey, sugar and lemon – treatments last anywhere from four to six weeks. Give it a try by following the outlined simple directions. Be sure to wash the area you will be working on thoroughly and dry well.
What you will need:
- Popsicle stick or tongue depressor
- Strips of cotton fabric cut 1-inch wide and 8 to 10-inches long
- Candy thermometer
Ingredients for the mixture:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup honey
- Juice from 1 lemon (without pulp)
Preparation of the mixture:
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and turn the heat to medium. When mixture boils, reduce heat to low and stir often to prevent it from boiling over. As soon as the temperature on the thermometer records 250 degrees Celsius, remove saucepan from the stove.
- Pour mixture into a glass Mason jar and allow it to cool at room temperature. It is important for the mixture to cool because you can burn your skin if it is not properly cooled.
- Lightly dust area with corn starch before applying mixture. This will make the process less painful.
- Use a Popsicle stick or tongue depressor to spread a thin layer of the mixture over the corn starched area. Apply mixture in the direction of the hair growth. Place the cotton strip fabric on the area, rub strip vigorously.
- Allow strip to sit for one minute on the area, and then proceed to pull skin tight with one hand and quickly rip off the strip in the opposite direction of the hair growth. Use as many strips as necessary and repeat process to completely remove hair from the target area. Mixture can be reheated if it becomes too cool.
- Refrigerate mixture for use at a later date (Simply reheat it).
- If mixture hardens you can add about 1 tablespoon of water when you are reheating it.
- Hair must be at least 1/4-inch long for the depilation to work.
- Do not apply mixture to area with cuts, scrapes, scar tissue, stretch marks, abrasions, warts, moles, skin tags, varicose veins, around the eye area, or if you are suffering from any other skin condition.